- Can a river be a teacher? Visual Arts lesson: can-a-river-be-a-teacher_lesson-one
- Eco-Justice and Visual Arts, MS and HS slide show: eco-justice-and-art-education-slide-show
- A Walk in the Park materials, a year-long 9th grade project with SEMIS Coalition and Detroit Institute of Technology at Cody HS, Check out the blog post!
- Water quality information sheet created by Laura Florence for a High School Science Unit: semis-water quality info sheet
Unit Examples from the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University pre-service teacher education students. SEMIS Coalition Director, Professor Ethan Lowenstein, teaches curriculum and practicum (field) courses at EMU each fall and uses a Place-based Education framework and pedagogy in this work. Each term students are both challenged and transformed with the power of PBE! Here are a few examples of the great curriculum Ethan’s students create:
- American Water, High school Social Studies Unit by Kevin Doby: american-water_kevin-doby
- Characteristics of Sustainable Communities, High School ELA Unit by Meredith White: characteristics-of-sustainable-communities_meredith-white
- The Distribution of Growth: Monitoring the Inhabitants at the Rouge River, 9th Grade Math Unit by Jada Rachal: the-distribution-of-growth_jada-rachel